Sunday, March 27, 2016

Expresing Purpose; Reason/Cause; Result/Effect

PURPOSE:


Examples:
We had a meeting today so as to discuss next year's programme.
He did all he could for her not to worry.
I moved to France so that I could improve my French.
Everyone did their best in order to finish the work.


REASON:
 
Examples:
Since you don't believe me, I won't give evidence.
Because of his lack of training he had difficulties finding a job.
He gave him his jacket out of pity.
On account of the weather we didn't go for a walk.
Billy was punished for lying to his teacher.
Owing to the snow,the planes couldn't take off.
As you are a foreigner you can't express your opinions on the situation in the area.
Seeing that you aren't interested I' ll do it by myself.

RESULT:
Examples:
He missed the early train, as a result he was too late for the job interview.
The result of his trial, therefore, could hardly have been other than a foregone conclusion.
If he locked the door, then Kitty is trapped inside.

taken from:
http://languagelearningbase.com/19645/expressing-purpose-reason-cause-result-effect

No comments:

Post a Comment