Sunday, August 16, 2015

Level 18

WC LEVEL 18
REVIEW
CEVAZ

1. Complete the sentences with the correct Modal Verb of Possibility in the Past. MUST HAVE, MAY/MIGHT/COULD HAVE, MAY/ MIGHT NOT HAVE or COULDN’T HAVE.
1) His wife returned the sweater he bought her to the store. She___________ liked it.
2) I wonder why our neighbors decided to move. They _________ bought a new house.
3) My gloves were on the table when I went to the washroom, and now they are gone. Somebody ___________ taken them.
4) William has been sneezing and coughing a lot today. He __________ caught a cold.
5) The DVD machine was on when I got up this morning. Somebody ___________ forgotten to turn it off.
6) Maggie had a date with her boyfriend last night, and today she is wearing an engagement ring. Her boyfriend ____________ asked her to marry him.
7) I don't know why Vivian didn't attend the staff meeting this afternoon. She ______ been too busy.
8) The student made a lot of mistakes on the quiz. He _____________ studied.
9) Steve starts work at 8:30. I phoned him at 8:00, but he didn't answer. He ________ left for work.
10) I waved when I saw Betty in town yesterday afternoon, but she just kept on walking. She __________ seen me.

2. Put the verbs in parentheses in the correct form (FUTURE CONTINUOUS).
1) I _________________ (not/rest) at all next week but I _____________ (prepare) my project instead.
2) Can I come at 5? Not really. I _______________ (teach) English to my daughter then.
3) Kate ________________ (answer) e-mails all morning tomorrow.
4) ___________________ (Peter/ride) his bicycle this afternoon? Can I borrow it?
5) I _______________ not/cook all day tomorrow. You have to help me.

3. Put the verbs in parentheses in the correct form (FUTURE PERFECT).
1) You should come earlier if you want to speak to her. I am afraid that by three o'clock she __________________ (leave).
2) By next year I ______________ (know) him for five years and I think he is reliable enough.
3) Hopefully, by this time next week I ____________ (pass) my driving test and I'll finally be able to get a car.
4) ______________ (you/complete) the list of people to be invited before I get back so that we can discuss it?
5) He knows he'll be late for the conference but he hopes it ____________ (not/end) before he arrives because he'd like to hear at least the final speech.

4. Put the words in the correct order to make sentences in Future in the Past.
Example:  John / finish / would / assignment / the / I / by 5:00 p.m. / knew
I knew John would finish the assignment by 5:00 PM.
1) back / I / he / soon. / knew / come ________________________________________
2) it / be / wouldn't / ready / knew / week. /the / I _____________________________
3) would / learn / I / She / very / fast. / said ___________________________________
4) I / the / pass / think / would / didn't / he / exam. _____________________________

5. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verb in parentheses in FUTURE CONTINUOUS or FUTURE PERFECT.
1) This time tomorrow, Maria _________________ on a beach in Majorca. (sunbathe)
2) Wake me up by nine o'clock - I ___________________ long enough by then. (sleep)
3) Look, I can give you a lift to the station – I ______________ that way anyway. (drive)
4) It's strange that when we get to Sydney, we ________________ half way round the world. (fly)
5) Don't phone me between 7 and 8. We ___________________ dinner then. (have)
6) Phone me after 8 o'clock. We ___________________ dinner by then. (finish)
7) Tomorrow afternoon we're going to play tennis from 3 o'clock until 4:30. So at 4 o'clock, __________________ we tennis. (play)
8) Do you think you ____________________ the same job in ten years' time? (still/do)
9) By the time you get home I ______________ the house from top to bottom. (clean)
10) Tom is on holiday and he is spending his money very quickly. If he continues like this, he _____________________ all his money before the end of his holiday. (spend)

6. Write NOUN CLAUSES to complete the sentences.
1) Ann brought (a new dictionary). Question: What did Ann buy? Noun Clause: Do you know ____________________________
2) It is (350 miles) to Denver from here. Question: How far is it from here to Denver? Noun Clause: I need to know _____________________________
3) Jack was late to class (because he missed the bus). Question: Why was Jack late? Noun Clause: The teacher wants to know _________________________
4) That is Ann’s pen. Question: Whose pen is that? Noun Clause: Tom wants to know _______________________________
5) Alex saw Ms. Frost at the meeting. Question: Whom did Alex see at the meeting? Noun Clause: I don’t know _____________________________
6) "Is this the train to San Francisco?" He is asking me________________________
7) "Do we have to buy a ticket before boarding?" 
They asked me ______________________ before boarding.
8) "Can you buy a ticket on board?" Do you know _____________________ on board?
9) "Is this the 'bullet train'?"  I really don't know _______________________________ 
10) "Am I able to buy a round-trip ticket?" Do you know _________________________ 

7. Finish the sentences using REPORTED QUESTIONS.
1) Nancy: "Why didn't Nick go to New York last summer?"
Yesterday Nancy wanted to know _____________________________________
2) Barbara: "Must I do my homework this afternoon?"
Yesterday Barbara asked me _________________________________________
3) A man: "When does the train to Liverpool leave?"
Yesterday, ________________________________________________________
4) Linda: "Did Max fly to London two weeks ago?"
Yesterday, Linda wanted to know ____________________________________
5) What has happened to your hand?
He wondered ____________________________________________________
6) Grandmother to Jane: "Where are my glasses? Have you seen them?"
Yesterday, Jane’s grandmother asked _________________________________
7) Sue to her boyfriend: "When will you call me again? Will I see you next weekend?"
Sue wanted to know ______________________________________________
8) Why did the alarm clock go off at 5 am yesterday?
He asked ________________________________________________________
9) How long will you be away?
He asked me _____________________________________________________
10) Mark’s father to Mark: "What have you been doing all the time?"
His father wanted to know __________________________________________
 7) Mary to her brother: “What will you do if you miss the bus?”
She wondered ___________________________________________________

8. Complete the sentences with one of the words or expressions from the list.
excel   street smarts     cutting-edge         feasible           take for granted       tow
1) When Alex knew what she wanted and it was ___________, he almost always made it happen.
2) Carmen's truck broke down and I'm going to _______ it home for her.
3) Ecuador is known for the handicrafts made by its artisans. Superior hand-made carpets are also made, and Quito artisans show much skill in wood carvings and in gold and silver works; the women ________ in fine needlework and lace-making.
4) After a while in a relationship you begin to _______________ the other person, desensitizing their importance..
5) ______________ is the knowledge needed to survive in difficult and dangerous places or situations in a city.
6) A good leather jacket can keep you protected from the elements and on the ____________ of fashion at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment