Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Modals for Possibility in the Present

Several modal verbs show possibility. They are Might, May, Could, and Must. All of these are different ways to say maybe.

STRUCTURE

Modal Verb + Base Verb
May/Might/Could/Must + Base Verb


Examples:
I may eat dinner at 7:00pm.
She might work late tonight.
They must be tired.


May
May shows possibility in the present or the future.
Examples:
Present: Where are my keys? They may be in the car.
Future: I may go to the party tonight.

May is formal and is often found in writing.
Example:
Side effects of this medication may include upset stomach and fever.

Might
Possibility in the present or future.
Examples:
Present: Where are my keys? They might be in the car.
Future: I might go to the party tonight.

Might is less formal than may, and is more common in
conversation

Could
Something is possible in the present or future.
Examples:
Present: Where are my keys? They could be in the car.
Future: We could go to the party tonight.

Could shows options, or possibility.

taken from:

No comments:

Post a Comment