Friday, May 15, 2015

Second Conditional

The Second Conditional is used to talk about "impossible” situations in the future.

Examples:

-If we were in London today, we would be able to go to the concert in Hyde Park.

-If I had millions dollars, I'd give a lot to charity.

Note that after I / he/ she /it we often use the subjunctive form 'were' and not 'was'. (Some people think that 'were' is the only 'correct' form but other people think 'was' is equally 'correct‘)

-If she were happy in her job, she wouldn't be looking for another one

-If I were rich, I could travel all around the world.

-If he were any smarter, he would take that job.


The Second Conditional is also used to talk about 'unlikely‘ situations.

Examples:
-If I went to China, I'd visit the Great Wall.

-If I were the President, I'd reduce taxes.

Note that the choice between the first and the second conditional is often a question of the speaker's attitude rather than of facts.

Compare these examples:
Otto thinks these things are possible, Peter doesn't.

Otto – If I win the lottery, I'll buy a big house. (first conditional)
Peter – If I won the lottery, I'd buy a big house. (second conditional)

Note that the 'If clause' can contain the past simple or the past continuous.

-If I were still working in Brighton, I would commute by train.

Note that the main clause can contain "would" "could" or "might".

-If I had the chance to do it again, I would do it differently.

-If we met up for lunch, we could go to that new restaurant.

-If I spoke to him directly, I might be able to persuade him.


IF + SUBJECT + SIMPLE PAST CLAUSE, SUBJECT + WOULD/COULD/MIGHT + VERB IN INFINITIVE



No comments:

Post a Comment